Newsletter Mailing List

Friday, March 22, 2024

National Geographics pre - 1960s

I have no issue coming across National Geographic magazines 1960s-current. I dismantle them and sell them in my Etsy store as page packs - you can get a random pack or a themed pack with a few themes of your choice and the page choices are at my discretion (I like to think I'm pretty darn good at picking them out, though). But earlier than the 60s were always difficult for me to find until recently.... I came across a few different lots of them and I spent a good few hours flipping through them last night and let me tell ya.............they are awesome!

None of them are perfect. They are blemished, stained, marked....but they are so much fun to go through. The black & white images are wonderful. I mean, they were state-of-the-art in their day and the image quality is terrific, Not to mention, most of them have illustrations that are rich and gorgeous. Once you get into the 40s, colored photos start to appear more and they remind me of an old black & white that was colorized after the fact. And who knows? Maybe that's how they did it then. I've never really researched the behind-the-scenes work of these magazines.

These photos here are a little better quality from being 1950s, but they are still a lot of fun to look through. The cultural differences of our history and the ads make these books a real treasure.

So what do I have? I have a handful from the 30s, a lot from the 40s, and a handful from the 50s. But they are all wonderful in their own accord. I have them listed in my Etsy (a portion of them anyway. Etsy has variation restrictions so I was only able to list through 1946) but if you are looking for themed (I saw amazing floral illustrations, fish illustrations, etc), feel free to contact me. Again, Etsy only lets me upload so much in the way of photos.

Just a few other examples of pages from some of the 1940s mags! Head over to my Etsy to check them out!

Here

~M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jingle Bells! Christmas packs are here!

  I kinda went crazy. I'm not going to lie! I put together Christmas packs and went crazy doing it and now they are almost 1lb each and ...